Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Premium Forum II NEW POSTS II New Replies to my Threads
Click Here to check out our featured ride for this month
Welcome to Cobalt Universe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How To: Rust Proof Your Rotors; well more like prevent rust on your rotors
Topic Started: Aug 22 2011, 09:57 PM (5,646 Views)
tyler14blank
Member Avatar
Valued
This How to will show you how to prevent rust from contaminating your rotors

I did this today to my new rotors

This is a fairly fast and easy how to
This involves paint and other chemicals so be sure to do it in a well ventilated area

Tools Required

Brake Parts Cleaner
Rag or lint free cloth
Engine enamel/Caliper paint( just make sure the paint is heat resistant)
Heat resistant Primer
2" masking Tape
Razor blade
Rotors
Posted Image

Step 1

The first thing you want to do is spray brake parts cleaner all over the rotor to get the protective coating off of it...this will give the paint something to stick to.
Posted Image

Step 2

Take your Rag or Lint free Cloth and wipe off all the brake parts cleaner on both sides. you may want to repeat Steps 1 & 2 to be sure the protective coating is off
Posted Image

Step 3

Now that the rotor is cleaned its time to mask it off for paint. Now you dont want to paint the surface the pads slide on so what you want to do is flip the rotor over and start taping it off like this
Posted Image

Once you have taped off the full face it will look like this.

Posted Image

Step 4

Start on the inside of the rotor and take your razor blade and run it around the edge of the rotor to remove the unwanted tape
Posted Image

It should look like this when you're done.
Posted Image

Step 5

Now your going to want to do the same thing on the outside of the rotor. So pick a point to start and insert your razor and begin to cut like this.
Posted Image

Once your finished with that It should look like this.
Posted Image

Step 6

Flip the rotor over to the front and start taping it just on the face where the pads slide like this. Just be sure to keep it close to the inner edge of the face.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Once your done it should look like this.
Posted Image

Step 7

Now for this Side you are only going to cut the excess tape off the outside. I recommend using a new blade for this side because the tape is layered thicker.
Posted Image

It should look like this when done
Posted Image

Step 8

Repeat steps 1 through 7 for your other rotor

Step 9

Find something to put the prep'd rotors on to paint them and spray your first coat of primer. Do the back side of the rotor first and then flip it to the front and do the front.( I didnt use primer but i highly recommend using it.)

Also dont forget to do the edge of the rotor where the vents are

After allowing proper time for the primer to cure lay another coat of primer on and let it dry.

I recommend a minimum of 3 coats of primer with a minimum of 20min to dry depending on temp and humidity.

Step 10

Once your coats of primer have had a chance to fully dry (at least 4 hours) your ready for paint

Set the rotors up face down so you are looking at the Inside of the rotor. And light coat of paint on the rotor. Paint the Back first before you paint the front just like when you primed them.

Do this side
Posted Image

Before doing this side
Posted Image

The paint i used was a Low Gloss engine Enamel and it dried really fast so i was able to apply a second coat in about 10 minutes. While i was waiting I put the Paint can in a bucket of hot water to heat it up and maximize the pressure in the can for a better more even spray pattern. I highly recommend doing this with both the primer and paint.

Step 11

After the first coat has had proper time to dry flip your rotors back over and repeat Step 10

Second coat!
Posted Image

I recommend 3 coats minimum of the paint as well
I didnt get a picture of the third coat but i put a total of 3 coats of paint on.

Step 12

Put your Rotors somewhere safe to dry... after about 2 hours you can carefully pull the tape off but i recommend letting them cure over night before removing the tape.

Step 13

After allowing the paint to cure over night you can remove the tap and install your new Rust Proof Rotors!!!

I Got impatient and took the tape off after 2 hours and here is what they look like

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will install them tomorrow and post pictures of the install!

Step 14

After reading this How To Guide and painting your rotors if this was helpful click the thank button under my name and post a picture of them complete!! :) :)
Edited by tyler14blank, Aug 22 2011, 10:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

07CobaltGirl
Member Avatar
Your worst Nightmare - Anarchist at heart

Never thought of that actually. This is exactly what I did to paint my calipers on the car! Nice write up. 2-- 2-- 2--
Posted Image
32% tint all around (GA limit) | GMPP Touring exhaust | Kyowa 518 wheels 18" Black w/polished | Kenwood sub w/RFosgate 10's | Gen3 CCFL Halo Projectors | G2 Painted calipers/drums (pink) | Shorty antenna | Partially de-badged | Tinted tail-lights & side-markers | Eibach Sportline Springs custom powder-coated neon pink | SS/NA body-kit | Spyder LED Tails | GMPP Intake | TWM Short Throw Shifter | Custom Black/Pink interior Soon-to-come: M62 Stage2 Supercharger w/Option B
Click on the CHEERLEADER SQUAD to go PREMIUM and see them naked! 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2--
07CobaltGirl's Showoff Thread || Naked Cheerleaders on CU Premium! || Add yourself to the Member Map!||

Scribs
Member Avatar
Pounding out car parts since 2009

you can buy new rotors that come coated like my new slotted rotors are. plus that shit will smell until it cooks on. also most dupli-color takes close to a week if not a full week to cure. best bet is to follow what the can says. plus why "heat" the paint? you can make the can pop or you can make the paint spray on blistered from being too warm.

tyler14blank
Member Avatar
Valued
nah i know what im doing with this stuff...i cant believe you've never heard of putting a spray can in hot water...thats an old trick to get a more even coat because the paint will thin out a little more in the warmth and it also heats the aerosol propellant to give it a little more pressure...its harmless.. you just dont wanna boil the water lol...enamels do take a little longer to dry but once this starts heating up it wont take long at all...yeah it will smell...any new rotors would anyways unless you clean the face...and paint blisters when you paint in high humidity. and if there is contaminants on the surface.

Samborghini
Member Avatar

I like this! Good write up
:D
Posted Image
My ShowOff Thread 2++ Buzzard's Facebook
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

DROPPEDATBIRTH
Member Avatar
GET OUT THE SAWZALL

Nice write up man.
I have always put my rattle cans in hot water before painting anything with them, I learned that from my grandfather over 20 years ago.
Autoill.com
Posted Image 'My Showoff Thread'

tyler14blank
Member Avatar
Valued
Thanks Dustin...I have always done that to I thought everyone knew about that little trick

07smoLT
Member Avatar
Valued
very nice write up, and cool little trick, will try that next time i paint!
Posted Image
K&N Typhoon, Tsudo Cat-back, tinted, debadged and dechromed. Lowered on Ksport GT'sClick here for showoff thread

tyler14blank
Member Avatar
Valued
I installed them today..I snapped one pic in the furiating process..I have stripped lug stud on the same wheel hub I just replaced one on. And I have busted belt in my tire so I was pretty pissed and didn't remember to take pics

Scribs
Member Avatar
Pounding out car parts since 2009

tyler14blank
Aug 23 2011, 12:06 AM
nah i know what im doing with this stuff...i cant believe you've never heard of putting a spray can in hot water...thats an old trick to get a more even coat because the paint will thin out a little more in the warmth and it also heats the aerosol propellant to give it a little more pressure...its harmless.. you just dont wanna boil the water lol...enamels do take a little longer to dry but once this starts heating up it wont take long at all...yeah it will smell...any new rotors would anyways unless you clean the face...and paint blisters when you paint in high humidity. and if there is contaminants on the surface.
you are supposed to clean the rotors before installing anyways! that oil like coating (forget the tech name for it) must be cleaned off first! and paint can and will blister from heat. had it happen at work when the booth got too hot. I've never had any problem painting with or without a puff can and I have painted outside in the winter just fine. idk I am crazy with a rattle can tho. I've seen people do a "good job" just to have strips show up in the paint in better light. I cant tell you how many hundreds of cans of spray paint I have used and how many thousands of parts at work I have painted. I was the top painter on second shift for awhile until we get a new job leader. 98% of the time its the user...
Edited by Scribs, Aug 24 2011, 01:00 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · How To: Vehicle Maintenance · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ