Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Premium Forum II NEW POSTS II New Replies to my Threads
Click Here to check out our featured ride for this month
Welcome to Cobalt Universe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
how to change automatic transmission fluid and filter
Topic Started: Apr 5 2011, 07:50 PM (30,611 Views)
the_don
Member Avatar
adrenaline junkie
tools needed:
8mm socket with ratchet and at least a 3"extension
torque wrench for the 8mm socket that measures inch pounds (inlbs)
7/16" box end wrench
small rubber mallet
flat head screw driver
pliers
right angle pick
10 qt oil drain pan
long neck funnel.. i found a 12" funnel works best
shop rags
parts cleaner-- i prefer brake parts cleaner.. 1 can will do

fluid type and capacity:

dextron 6 or equivalent

total transmission capacity is 13 quarts
pan removal and filter change approximately 7 quarts

our transmissions are equipped with a reusable rubber gasket. i recommend reusing this unless its damaged. your replacement filter should come with a replacement gasket.

step 1:
lift and secure the vehicle whether its on a hoist type lift or drive on ramps. if your using drive on ramps you will also need a floor jack and a set of jack stands to check fluid level but ill come back to this in the checking fluid section.

step 2:
using the 8mm socket and ratchet remove all but 4 bolts securing transmission pan to transmission. i marked the 4 i leave tight in the picture below
Posted Image

step 3:
grab your drain pan and break loose the remaining bolts but do not loosen them yet. on the drivers side of the pan where you have the oblong section protruding towards the front, loosen the 2 bolts about 1/4" to let the fluid start draining from that section of the pan. you may have to loosen the other bolts a turn and strike the pan with the rubber mallet to break it free from the transmission. once the fluid slows to a slow dripping push the pan against the transmission and remove the remaining bolts. with one motion slowly lower and tip the pan away from you to pour the remaining fluid into your drain pan. pull the drain pan under the transmission to catch any dripping.

step 4:
clean and inspect the oil pan gasket. check for cracks , rips, or denting that may cause a leak. with the cleaner spray the sludge from the oil pan allowing the fluid to run into your drain pan. wipe off any access from the gasket seat on the pan set it off to the side and let the cleaner dry.

step 5:
with both hands grab the filter firmly and pull strait down. DO NOT WIGGLE SIDE TO SIDE because you could break off the filter neck and this will turn into a pain in the butt. once the filter comes out take the right angle pick and pull out the filter seal. this make take some time and patience just be careful not to gouge the filter housing with the pick. once the seal is out make sure the new filter matches the one your taking out just because parts people do mess up sometimes. after you make sure you got the right parts put the new filter seal on the tip of your finger lube with transmission fluid and push it into the filter neck mounting hole. once thats in all the way push the new transmission filter into the seal by placing your palm directly under the filter neck and push strait up. again without wiggling. once the filter seats into the seal make sure its sitting in the same position the old filter was in before you took it out just to make sure everything seated all the way. below is a hand drawn picture of the pan ,filter and seal
Posted Image
Posted Image

step 6:
with a rag wipe off oil pan mounting surface on transmission and make sure theres no gasket fragments on the mounting surface. check for gouging and nicks. if everythings ok place the gasket onto the oil pan and reinstall onto transmission. start all 12 transmission pan bolts before tightening any. theres no torque pattern to follow but i always snug a bolt and then snug the opposing bolt to make sure it sits flush for torquing. torque all oil pan bolts to 124 inch pounds

adding and checking fluid level
step 7:
the vehicle must be level in order to have the correct fluid level in the transmission.. if you are using drive on ramps to change your filter/fluid you will need to raise the rear of the car with a jack and support it with jackstands. try to get it close to level as possible but be safe, make sure the ramps are on solid ground and the jackstands are locked equally and on solid ground. before going under the car gently rock it to make sure it is securley raised. the easiest way to raise the car from the rear is to place the jack under the center of the axle beam .. this is tricky but possible , if theres any possibility to use a hoist type lift i highly reccomend using it

from the top of the engine/transmission look between the fuse box and valve cover, on top of the transmission theres a fluid fill cap seen in the 2 pictures below,wipe off area around the cap and remove the cap, you may need the pliers to break it free. install long funnel into hole and climb back under the car
Posted Image
Posted Image
with your 7/16 wrench take out the fluid level plug (seen below) and set aside where your not going to loose it
Posted Image
add transmission fluid until fluid runs from the bolt hole. start the engine and allow the transmission reach normal operating temperature (at least 104 degrees f) apply brake and shift through ranges from park to "l" and back to park pausing for a few seconds inbetween shifts. leave engine running and add fluid by half ( 1/2 ) quart increments untill fluid starts running from hole. allow fluid to stop dripping from hole then install the bolt you have removed and tighten to 9 ftlbs.. this is a plug only and just needs to be snug. turn off engine, remove funnel and install fill cap.. job done

Edited by the_don, Apr 7 2011, 07:01 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

07CobaltGirl
Member Avatar
Your worst Nightmare - Anarchist at heart

Nice! If I had an auto, this would be VERY useful! :)
Posted Image
32% tint all around (GA limit) | GMPP Touring exhaust | Kyowa 518 wheels 18" Black w/polished | Kenwood sub w/RFosgate 10's | Gen3 CCFL Halo Projectors | G2 Painted calipers/drums (pink) | Shorty antenna | Partially de-badged | Tinted tail-lights & side-markers | Eibach Sportline Springs custom powder-coated neon pink | SS/NA body-kit | Spyder LED Tails | GMPP Intake | TWM Short Throw Shifter | Custom Black/Pink interior Soon-to-come: M62 Stage2 Supercharger w/Option B
Click on the CHEERLEADER SQUAD to go PREMIUM and see them naked! 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2-- 2--
07CobaltGirl's Showoff Thread || Naked Cheerleaders on CU Premium! || Add yourself to the Member Map!||

the_don
Member Avatar
adrenaline junkie
im still adding and editing but heres the jistofit
Posted Image

Member Avatar
********PoPo********

Very Good!! Thanks!!!!!

Posted Image

If You're SCARED... SAY You're SCARED...

Burnt2death
Member Avatar
Burnt to a crisp...

the_don
Apr 5 2011, 08:01 PM
im still adding and editing but heres the jistofit
Copy and Paste the info including photos and PM the post to me. I will add it to the main page and give you credit as well for this thread lol
Posted Image

GpB311
Member Avatar
Shwing

Awesome, I will be using this. Was a little more cobalt specific than the one I was going to use.

So being level and at operating temp doesnt matter much when draining?
You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Show Off Thread

the_don
Member Avatar
adrenaline junkie
Dick Thrusthumper
Apr 5 2011, 10:01 PM
Awesome, I will be using this. Was a little more cobalt specific than the one I was going to use.

So being level and at operating temp doesnt matter much when draining?
not for draining the fluid but for the refill and checking it needs to be warm and level
Posted Image

GpB311
Member Avatar
Shwing

What would you say the risks of this are? In other words, is there anything youd recommend watching out for? Is there a chance the new fluid could free up some stuck nastiness and cause a clog elsewhere?
You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Show Off Thread

the_don
Member Avatar
adrenaline junkie
just dont break off the filter neck and torque everything...ive never heard of a problem with changing the fluid and filter, and if theres anything thick enough to do damage your transmission its allready junk.. unles you drop dirt or somethin down the fluid fill hole. and i do not reccomend any fluid additives like cleaners or flushes
Posted Image

Jon1911
should change inch lbs to foot lbs
Edited by Jon1911, May 4 2011, 07:29 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · How To: Vehicle Maintenance · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ