Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Premium Forum II NEW POSTS II New Replies to my Threads
Click Here to check out our featured ride for this month
Welcome to Cobalt Universe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Emergency brake cable
Topic Started: Feb 20 2011, 08:25 PM (3,250 Views)
GpB311
Member Avatar
Shwing

Im replacing my brake shoes on my rear tires for my 2005 LS. I have the drum off and the old shoes off, but to put new shoes on I need to reattach the emergency brake cable. For the life of me I can not get it to attach to the new shoe. I compressed the spring and tried to slide it into the groove on the shoe and it just wont fit. IM about to try filing the groove some to give more room for the end of the emergency brake cable, but Im afraid that could cause a problem later on.

Anyone else have any trouble with this?
--PLease delete double post.
Edited by GpB311, Feb 20 2011, 08:27 PM.
You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Show Off Thread
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LoneWolf
Member Avatar
Not to be f*cked with....

Don't file the groove that will cause serious problems in the future. I haven't done the e brake on my car yet but i knwo someone on here will have an answer for you. And welcome to the forum its nice to see more west coasters joining.
Posted Image
Sig thanks to our new GFX team member Padlock
160 MPH SS/SC Cluster, Air box mod, Custom Spectre Short Ram Intake, Back on Steelies for the Winter
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth makes the whole world blind and ugly......

GpB311
Member Avatar
Shwing

Thanks, I was GpB311 on yc.com, but havent posted in a few months since ive been offline and not working on my car as much. Was glad to hear there was another active forum with some of the most helpful members on it.
You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Show Off Thread

Burnt2death
Member Avatar
Burnt to a crisp...

Dick Thrusthumper
Feb 20 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks, I was GpB311 on yc.com, but havent posted in a few months since ive been offline and not working on my car as much. Was glad to hear there was another active forum with some of the most helpful members on it.
This place is awesome once you get used to the layout and you become comfortable with it. Welcome over!
Posted Image

the_don
Member Avatar
adrenaline junkie
there should be a circle hole then a notch under it... what i do is take 2 pair of vice grips and with the frst grab the cable end(the steel cylinder thing on the end).. pull the spring back the cable about 2" and clamp onto the cable with the other set of vicegrips to hold the spring back.. release the cable end and youll have to bend it into like a U shape while pushing it into thru the circle part of the brake lever and let the cable straighten itself into the notch where it is supposta sit.. this may take a few tries but i think this is the easiest way to re-attacth the cable... release spring after attached
Edited by the_don, Feb 20 2011, 09:40 PM.
Posted Image

DROPPEDATBIRTH
Member Avatar
GET OUT THE SAWZALL

Well I think if you do what The Don said it will work our for you, drums can be a pain in the ass all around. Glad you made it over here, did you see the TTR thread I told you about?
Autoill.com
Posted Image 'My Showoff Thread'

LsLowBalt
Member Avatar
Here we go STEELERS

Hope this helps

Parking brake
My Cardomian
Keystone Cobalts
Posted Image
My Show off thread

MP81
Member Avatar
Get some

It's not fun, but you just kinda gotta sit back and look at it. It takes a lot of rotating - and don't put it on backwards, haha.
Posted Image
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, FE5 Suspension, SSC Springs, and way more than I can list here...
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Winter/secondary vehicle
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - Fiancé's vehicle

GpB311
Member Avatar
Shwing

Thanks everyone, got the job finished and I didnt die on my way to work so it seems everything's working properly. Its def a ginormous p.i.t.a. to work with drum brakes, but now that i finally got them off im going to clean them and paint them to match the calipers on the front brakes.

Im getting a tiny bit of noise while driving, but I think I may just need to have the drums resurfaced. They need it.

Show Off Thread

MP81
Member Avatar
Get some

Dick Thrusthumper
Feb 22 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone, got the job finished and I didnt die on my way to work so it seems everything's working properly. Its def a ginormous p.i.t.a. to work with drum brakes, but now that i finally got them off im going to clean them and paint them to match the calipers on the front brakes.

Im getting a tiny bit of noise while driving, but I think I may just need to have the drums resurfaced. They need it.
Our drums are VERY easy compared to normal drums, especially once you get it down. Took me two hours to do the first side's drum brake - though it was also in the dark, cold and I was drinking and pissed off (that's when I destroyed my radiator)...second side I did, refreshed, the next morning and it took like 10 minutes.
Posted Image
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, FE5 Suspension, SSC Springs, and way more than I can list here...
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Winter/secondary vehicle
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - Fiancé's vehicle

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ